Friday, November 27, 2009

PIE!

This year Thanksgiving was about a lot of things, but it was nice to focus some activities on the proper activity of...eating pie.

I have not always been a fan of pie. As a youngin' I didn't like pie at all. I could not fathom how anyone could like pie, in fact. The salty, dry, bland crust did not appeal to me, and the only pies I really ate were those that had sufficient moisture and flavor to overcome that terribly necessary crust. Pumpkin pie was out of the question. For a long while, pecan was out too. Lemon maringue was my choice, but a deep cream pie would do. Apple...well, I'm still not fond of it, but with enough ice cream it's edible.

I can't say when it happened, but I've come to enjoy GOOD pie. I suppose the criticisms I placed on it as a youth have helped me respect pie. And since most people love pie, particularly around this holiday, I figured we would make the most of it. I found myself completely out of my league!

You see, in the above picture are 8 pies. Exactly 2 of these pies were baked and partially eaten in my house. One of the pies was bought and partially eaten in my house. The remaining 5 pies were made by the people with whom we shared our Thanksgiving Feast. Each of those people make GREAT pies. They come from families who love pies, and who have always loved pies.

Did I mention that there was only one other family at our Thanksgiving Feast? That's right, the pie selection pictured above was prepared for 4 adults and 5 children (under the age of 4). You are looking at Dutch Apple, Pecan, Chilled Pumkin, Lemon Maringue, Banana Cream, Pumpkin, Toll House (a chocolate chip cookie pie that was the Grand Champion, as decided be me...and the kids), and Apple. Uhhmmm...we didn't quite finish them off...

3 comments:

  1. wow, where were you at for thanksgiving? can we come next year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you need to do what one of my in-laws family does on Thanksgiving. See they figure pie is the most important part of the celebration that gets weeded out because of all the other great food. So to rectify the situation they have what they call the Pie Pigout Celebration which takes place the night before Thanksgiving. They also eat the pie on Thanksgiving but ...well, you get the picture.

    Unfortunately, I am still the anti-pie eater. I'll stick to the potatoes and gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin, we actually did do that. We had Wednesday night pie night and had our neighbors over. It was a great way to have pie and enjoy it! I think it'll be a permanent tradition for us.

    ReplyDelete