Dear Weather,
I've been rather enjoying the temperatures and precipitation levels of the fall season. As a first-year "true" (majority) bicycle commuter I was certainly worried about what it would be like when the temperatures dropped below 50F. Yeah, I know I kinda' wimped out when you broke out the rain in early November, but to my defense I had other priorities that had sucked me away from riding about a month earlier than you brought on the wet. Now, though, I have found a balance of clothing and speed that have been quite pleasant. I'm quite happy to be back in the saddle.
You know, you help create some great sunrises and sunsets. I've seen each one this week. Funny how the earth's tilt allows me to catch you at your best at the beginning and end of an 8-hour day. On that note, I'll miss those daylight moments in the coming winter months. This morning it was on the early side of dark when I started my ride. That's why I'm writing. I'd like to ask a favor.
Bring on the snow.
Yup, I'm asking for the white stuff. The fluffy stuff. The melty, makes a road dirty and dangerous stuff. You see, if I don't get daylight then I'm ready for that quiet and serene orange glow of the city blanketed in snow. The skiff by the river this morning doesn't cut it either. I'm hoping for a solid blanket. Would you do that for me?
Last year was superb. You brought it all at once. 40 inches in three days. I'm not sure I can ride that, but I would really, really enjoy it! OK, so shovelling was a challenge, I'll give you that. You almost had a couple of my neighbors beat. I've gotta thank you, though, because now we are more like family than simply neighbors.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to the challenge of the winter commute. Please don't let me down.
Sincerely,
Brandon
P.S. Please don't tell Sarah about this request.
Friday, December 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
as i drove to work yesterday while it was still dark outside in the warmth of my own car as the snow was falling, i saw two people who were commuting to work on their bikes. at this point, there were about 2 inches of fresh snow on the ground. i wondered what kind of person would ride their bike to work in such weather . . . well, now i know. happy commuting!
ReplyDeleteApparently it was minus 4 degrees this morning when I walked out the door. For the first time my legs got cold, but I nearly overheated up top. YEEEHAW!
ReplyDeleteit was -2 this morning on my commute, and i was freezing even though i was in my car. it's hard enough to make it from bed to the shower in the morning when it's this cold; i don't know how you survive the commute to work.
ReplyDelete