I've been into something new lately. I've joined a buddy from work a couple of times duck hunting. I love the challenge, and so far I've tolerated the cold. Each time we left town at about 4:00 a.m. and set up for first light at 7:00. Both times we had ducks landing in our spread before 7:00. Both times I had to wait and watch them up and run just before shooting time. No matter, there were always more coming in.
On day two we saw several mallards, and my first shot of the day brought down a hen. Later on we had two drake mallards coming straight at us low on the water. My buddy couldn't see them, so he followed my lead as I brought my gun up and clicked off the safety. When the birds were only about 20 yards away I fired...and missed! My buddy stood and sighted and I racked another shell. Both ducks flared and were now pointed skyward. We fired in the same moment and with two puffs of feathers the birds dropped and splashed!
No comments:
Post a Comment