One of the great things about cycling is the opportunity to draft. A major contributor to resistance on the bike is air drag, so when that resistance is eliminated it's possible to go faster with much less effort. I heard a recent report that in the professional peloton, effort can be reduced as much as 2/3 by simply tucking in behind another cyclist going the same speed. 66%! That translates to a lot of energy conservation! Now consider tucking in behind a LARGE wind barrier...like an SUV...or a dumptruck.
Occasionally on my commute home I'll catch a draft on the home stretch. When I fall in line a few cars back at a red traffic light I can generally accelerate with the traffic (given the proper draft vehicle), and before I know it I'm coasting at about 25-30 mph. I say coasting because once I get up to speed the only manipulation I have to do on the bike is tap the brakes once in a while to avoid colliding with the van/jeep/SUV I'm trailing.
By the way, if you're not an amazingly talented cyclo-communter, such as myself, don't try this! When I'm drafting off a vehicle at 30 mph my concentration levels are on high alert. I am watching three things VERY closely: First and foremost I'm watching the vehicle in front of the vehicle I'm trailing. I do not draft a vehicle I cannot see through (except that one time Ryan and I drafted a dumptruck - which was awesome!). I'm watching for any speed variation in the leading vehicle. Secondly, I'm watching peripherally for brake lights of the vehicle providing the draft. I'm generally about 5 feet from his bumper, which I believe might violate the car-length-rule...never done the math. Thirdly, I'm watching for any sudden moves from the profile of the driver of the draft vehicle (answering a cell phone? I'm outa here!). While I like going fast, I do not particularly want an asphalt-induced facial.
Earlier this week I found myself at a light in line behind a co-worker driving an Expedition. That, by the way, is an excellent vehicle to draft. I followed him for about 3/4 mile at 25 mph. At this point turning vehicles ahead were causing the line to slow, so I pulled out to the right and passed my friend waving and smiling. I moved ahead about 4 cars in line before I was slowed by a right-turning bus. I could not match acceleration behind a little car (whose draft was too short to envelope me) and before I knew it my co-worker was passing me again; pointing and laughing. So goes the drafting game!
Friday, April 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment