Friday, February 26, 2010

Cracked!

I went to my very first chiropractic session yesterday.  I went in with a bit of apprehension and a bit of hope.  My heart dropped a little when the chiropractor greeted me.  About 4 inches shorter than I (even in platform shoes), likely 50 pounds lighter, and wearing a dress; this woman did not appear to me like someone who was prepared to, let alone able to realign a body.

Over the course of about 20 minutes I explained my situation and answered her questions about my various aches and pains and my lifestyle.  I began to think that this first visit would go no further than information gathering.  Eventually, this kind woman pointed to the most segmented "table" I've ever seen and told me to lie down.  She pushed and prodded my back and leg for several minutes, folded and swiveled that table in several directions to check my flexibility, and finally declared that she would adjust my hips and an ankle.  In a few calculated efforts she coaxed a pop out of each side of my pelvis and finally my ankle.  This took less than 3 minutes.  No pain. No major relief. Just a minor joint pop out of each.

Then this seemingly kind woman conducted a deep tissue massage on my thigh.  She talked and smiled as she dug her thumbs in, around, and over the spot where I already hurt.  "Think of it like scar-tissue," she suggested, "We've got to break that down and free it up."  There's a knot on the side of my thigh about the size of a marble, and by the time I left I thought it more accurately resembled a quarter.  She was indeed kind though, pretending to not see the tears, thus saving me a little pride. 

When she declared she had done enough, she had the gall to invite me back in a few days...and a couple days after that...and a few days after that.  Swallowing thickly, I accepted.

The result?  Today I feel like I did a moderate core workout on my hips.  They do feel a bit looser.  And my outer thigh is VERY tender to the touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment