There are two notable happenings from my morning commute when the temperature dips below freezing AND the dew point:
#1 Little pieces of frost-laden sand stick to my tires just long enough to be flung like mini rooster-tails. The result is a tinny ping ping as those pieces of sand bounce off my frame. (note: this only happens on my road bike which 1: is constructed of high-quality steel and 2: has no fenders)
This sound also prompts me to wonder if I am experiencing greater rolling resistance because my tires are momentarily freezing to the asphalt and then being ripped away from it. No wonder my ride time was slower today!
#2 I take great care when taking that final turn onto the bridge over the river. Today I actually felt my front tire slip a little. My speedometer read 25 mph at that moment, and I was very relieved to have quick instincts to regain balance!
Interesting that outside of such moments the reason I take it easy on that corner is because I don't want to create a spectacle for my co-workers walking from the parking lot, but IN the moment I take it easy because I don't want to hit that frozen asphalt!
Friday, February 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment