Sunday, April 3, 2011

Long Distance 2011

The Windermere Marathon is scheduled for May14th this year.  I've been planning on it for a few months now, and like last year I set up a training routine back in December.  But UNLIKE last year, I've been able to stick to the routine...generally speaking.  The cool thing is that it's working; which I discovered on Friday.

Friday morning I got up at 6:15 and was out the door shortly after 6:30 destined for 18 miles.  I was going to run one of my regular cycling routes.  I've written about the river loop route before, and have used it as a gage in cycling.  On the bike I've done it in under an hour.  On my way out the door Friday, with a few questionable leg aches, I was mainly hoping to not have to call for a ride home.  Otherwise I could hope to be under 3 hours.

I started my timer and got moving.  On my waist belt I was carrying 32 ounces of fluid (1/2 water and 1/2 gatorade), and it took a while to get used to the four bottles and get them situated.  My legs felt fresh and free.  The pain that had worried me (a pulled muscle on the inside left shin) was not making itself known.  I wanted to take it easy to be sure not to aggravate that muscle, but I felt so good and the running was so fluid that I continued to ramp up the speed.

I missed the lap splits on the first few miles.  My pace was of no importance.  I was paying attention to my heart rate and the time.  I'm using a walk-break method for my distance runs this year.  I run 4 minutes and then walk 1 minute.  Despite the breaks (and actually because of them) I can run FASTER!  I didn't believe that after my 15-mile run a couple of weeks ago.  I didn't perform very well that day, and it was the first time I'd used this method.  This time, though...everything was different.  When I finally managed to catch a couple of mile splits around miles 5 and 6, I found that I was right on the pace I want to be this year.  I was breaking a 9-min/mile pace.  This means that because my walks were pulling my average down, I was running something closer to an 8-min/mile pace!

One landmark would be the half-marathon point (13.1 miles).  With my goal of a sub-4-hour marathon, I need to be less than 2 hours at the halfway point.  I knew I had my work cut out for me.  At 10.5 miles came a hill that has broken me many times on the bike.  My timing ended up perfect.  Just as the hill maxed out in steepness it was time for me to walk.  So I did. 

Walking is sometimes hard to do.  It's a pride thing.  There I am; dressed to the hilt as a runner.  I'm wearing water bottles and a Timex hat for crying out loud!  How can I walk?

As soon as I started to walk I could hear a cyclist coming up behind me.  Great.  How does it look when I stop running at the steepest point?  It looks like I'm a wimp.  But my dedication to the method kept me walking. 

The cyclist was slowed by the hill also.  I looked back at him just before he caught me.  It was time to start running again, and I realized I could almost match his pace.  That's when this white-haired gentleman said, "You don't have to start running on my account!"
"It's just time." I responded, lifting my Garmin in the air to accentuate my words.
"I was hoping you'd give me a push," he joked.  So I reached up and gave a healthy push on his backpack.  "No, I'm kidding!" he laughed.  The hill was taking it out of this guy, and I was able to run with him with a bit more effort.  "I had knee surgery...three weeks ago" he said between breaths.
"Are you supposed to be out here?" I asked, knowing he probably didn't care what his doctor thought.
"Well... it's OK..., but this hill makes it hurt."
To which I said something like, "This hill makes everyone hurt."  He now had the best of me and pulled away saying, "You're looking good!". 

It's funny how a little conversation and camaraderie can lift my spirits.  I felt great despite my burning lungs from the extra effort up that hill.  Now at the top, I had a good downhill section before starting up to the top of another hill for the 13-mile point.  I let myself fly down that grade.  I dropped my pace back into the 8's for mile 12.  I realized that if I did not take my walk break in the middle of mile 13 I would definately make the mark.  It felt good to keep running, but it also hurt as the trail gradually turned uphill.  My heartrate climbed and my breathing told me I was anarobic.  Half a mile of such effort was worth it if I could meet the mark.  I felt like I was pushing my limits, but I kicked it a little harder.  Time was running out, and it would be close!  I remembered my last single mile effort a few weeks back when pushing the fourth lap harder than all the rest seemed impossible, but I had done it.  Finally the mileage ticked past 13, and I had almost a minute to spare!  I had done it!  My 13th mile pace was 8 minutes and 13 seconds.

From there it was cruise control.  I was well spent, but still had strength to run the next 5 miles.  I ate a little and drank a bit.  Took a bathroom break, and kept pounding down the trail.  I felt my calves threaten cramping a couple of times, but with a bit more water that went away.

The final challenge came as I neared the house.  Last year I made a point to always meet the distance I set out to complete.  Arriving on my block I watched closely as the distance ticked up to 17.7, 17.8, and 17.9, but not yet 18.  I had to run past the house to achieve it.  It was about 50 yards more.  It's a small but important distance for me.

In the end I had no problem with my shin muscle.  It remains tender from the initial pull, but it did not make itself known during the run.  My overall time was 2 hours, 49 minutes, and 20 seconds.  The overall pace is slower than the sub-4 marathon.  Compared to last year's training, though, I'm in a completely different world!

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME!!! I have been thinking about doing The Galloway method myself, but that whole pride thing is keeping me back. Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete